Tuesday 23 May 2017

Walsh vows to clear name of sex claim

Ken Sweeney Entertainment Editor

POP manager Louis Walsh last night insisted his name would be cleared after he was interviewed by gardai about an alleged sex assault.

Yesterday the 58-year-old music impresario was interviewed by gardai about allegations by a 24-year-old Dublin man.

The man claimed he was indecently assaulted by Mr Walsh in a nightclub toilet.

"These allegations are totally untrue. I'm fully confident I will be exonerated," Mr Walsh told the Irish Independent last night.

The incident is alleged to have taken place in a toilet in the Krystle nightclub in the Russell Court Hotel on Harcourt Street in the city centre at around 3am on Sunday, April 10. The man told gardai that he was in a cubicle in the toilet when the alleged incident took place.

The two men had been talking earlier in a bar in the hotel before Mr Walsh went to Krystle after attending a Westlife concert at the O2.

"I was surrounded by people that I knew who witnessed how I behaved," Mr Walsh said.

"We were all there, just chilling out after after Westlife's concert," he added.

Mr Walsh said he had been heartened by the messages of support he had received from friends and colleagues across the Irish and international showbusiness world since the story broke.

These included messages from singer Elton John, 'X Factor' colleagues Dermot O'Leary, Tulisa Constavlos and Cheryl Cole as well as comedian Michael McIntyre and former 'X Factor' judge Sharon Osbourne.

"But I've also been inundated by ordinary friends and associates ringing up.

"It's going to take me ages to get back to each person but I just want to say to everyone how very touched I am to have heard from so many people at what has been such an upsetting time but I'm confident that my name will be cleared," added Mr Walsh.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News