HOSPITAL emergency doctors are warning Halloween revellers to follow basic safety tips and avoid suffering potentially serious injuries from fires and fireworks.
"Although fireworks are very rarely associated with deaths in Ireland, much more commonly, they cause burns and blast injuries to the upper limb," said spokesman Dr Fergal Hickey.
"The majority of victims are children and young adults," he said. Patricia Eadie, a plastic surgeon in St James's Hospital in Dublin, also cautioned parents about allowing children wearing plastic or paper costumes near bonfires or candles.
She said the "plastic bags can go on fire, melt and stick to the skin causing very deep burns".
"If this happens, take the clothes off straight away, roll the child on the ground and apply cold water," she advised.
Both sets of doctors urged the following safety rules:
* Adults should ensure that children are kept away from fireworks.
* Sparklers can get up to five times hotter than cooking oil and they should never be given to a child under five, even under supervision.
* On the night, you will need a torch, a bucket or two of water, eye protection and gloves and a bucket of soft earth to put fireworks in.