Thursday 25 December 2014

Video: Moment of terrifying ‘crowd crush’ outside popular nightclub

Published 28/01/2014 | 16:08

Niamh Cannon who was injured in crush outside Copper Face Jacks
Niamh Cannon who was injured in crush outside Copper Face Jacks

The 18-year-old injured student from last night's 'crowd crush' at Copper Face Jack's has been moved out of ICU and is no longer in a critical condition.

Niamh Cannon and six more young people were injured after the terrifying crush that occurred outside popular nightclub Copperface Jacks last night.

Ms Cannon was in critical condition following the incident but has been moved from the ICU unit this evening.

The video below shows the moment when the terrifying crowd crush took hold outside the Dublin city centre club just before midnight last night.

Footage that shows the chaotic scenes, which was uploaded to YouTube, was taken on a mobile phone by someone in the queue for the over 18's night in the Harcourt Street nightclub.

The clip shows hundreds of people queuing outside the venue before capturing the moment that it turned into a "crush".

The crowd can be seen swaying and pushing before hopeful patrons begin falling on one another.

A pile-up is created in the middle of the scene, and female partygoers can be heard screaming in the pandemonium.

The scene on Harcourt Street last night. Inset: A woman's shoe lies on the street outside Copper Face Jacks following last night's incident

The incident began at Camden Place – the laneway between Harcourt Street and Camden Street - where the end of the queue would be usually, and quickly spread to those queueing on Harcourt Street.

It is unclear what started the melee but it's clear that a chain reaction was caused.

Young revellers can be seen struggling to get back up on their feet but appear to be wedged.

Staff at Copper Jacks night club were forced to open the side door of the club to relieve the chaotic scenes, the club's owner has revealed.

Around 1,500 people were in the vicinity when the crush happened, estimates suggest.

Seven people suffered injuries in the incident, with four of them being taken to hospital by ambulance, according to garda sources.

One of those, a young woman, was said to be in a critical condition in hospital during the night. She is believed to be 18, and is being treated in St James' Hospital.

However, Cathal Jackson, owner of Copper Face Jacks told this morning: “The girl is okay and she’s talking. She’s after coming to."

The young woman was tended to by paramedics at the scene just before midnight, and she was rushed to hospital.

Mr Jackson said this morning that the young woman and two or three others received medical attention from an on-site paramedic when the crush happened.

 “It was just a huge crowd coming down Harcourt Street and up Harcourt Street and up Camden Place, and they converged on Camden Place on the alleyway.”

“It got blocked and a few people were knocked to the ground.”

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News