independent

Monday 21 April 2014

Used syringe gets stuck in boy's finger on DART train

Irish Rail is investigating an incident where a used syringe, which was at the side of a DART seat, became stuck in a boy's finger.

The incident took place last Saturday when the boy and his parents were on the way to take a trip on the Christmas steam train from Dublin's Pearse Street Station when the incident occured.

A spokesman for Irish Rail said they were investigating the incident and they believe the syringe was put there earlier that day.

"Obviously this was a very distressing incident for the young boy and his family, and we have been liaising with them since the incident," he said.

"It does appear as if it was down the side of the seat completely out of sight. There was also an immediate check after the incident happened to ensure that there was no other material hidden or visible which could cause harm to passengers, and thankfully there was not.

"DARTs are cleaned thoroughly and regularly, including sides of seats to ensure that such incidents are prevented, so it may have been that the syringe was placed there earlier in the day while the train was in service."

Irish Independent

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Independent.ie on Twitter

More

Most Read

Daily Deals

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News