News Irish News

Saturday 3 December 2016

Uncles of Turkish killer Cetin say his actions have ruined their lives

David Davies in Izmir

Published 05/01/2012 | 05:00

Recep Cetin: claims to be 17 but his age is in dispute
Recep Cetin: claims to be 17 but his age is in dispute

TWO uncles of the Turkish waiter accused of stabbing two Northern Ireland women to death have apologised on behalf of their family for the murders.

  • Go To

Recep Cetin, who claims to be 17 but whose age is in dispute, is in custody charged with the murders of Marion Graham (54) and Kathy Dinsmore (53).

The two friends were from Newry and were on holiday in the popular Kusadasi tourist region when they were killed in August last year.

Both women were stabbed multiple times in a remote forest near the city of Izmir.

Mr Cetin, who was in a relationship with Ms Graham's 15-year-old daughter Shannon, has admitted the killings.

His father Eyup is also in custody after a mystery witness came forward to place him and his car at the murder scene.

A judge dramatically ordered his arrest in court last week saying he did not believe Recep carried out the killings alone.

Recep's uncles Necmettin and Necati Cetin apologised to the Graham and Dinsmore families for his actions.

They said that since the murders he has been literally disowned by the family, and no one has been to see him in prison apart from his father.

Family spokesman Necmettin said: "His actions have ruined our lives. We are ashamed of him and never want to see him again. If he was to die in prison it would make no difference to us."

They said it would have been better if Recep had killed himself and let the two women live. They think he may have killed them because he believed Ms Graham was trying to put an end to the relationship.

The two men said they were hopeful their brother would soon be released as he had nothing to do with the murders and were sure forensic tests would exonerate him.

A bone marrow test has been ordered to establish Recep's exact age as he claims to be 17 and is being tried as a juvenile.

The families of the victims believe he is in his early 20s. The confusion arises as in many parts of Turkey births are registered late or sometimes not at all.

The Cetin family says that he is no more than six months older than the date on his birth certificate.

Necmettin agreed he looked older than his age but explained that he went to the gym a lot and was of a big build.

"He is as strong as three men," he said.

The two men said Recep had met Shannon three years previously when she was just 13 and had become infatuated with her and skipped school just to be with her.

They said from then on whenever she was in Turkey they were inseparable and he had left school to go and work in a restaurant.

He had saved to buy a car which was the vehicle used in the murders.

The family said his father also had use of it, which is what linked him to the murder scene.

Necmettin said that the two families got along well until the Cetins became disturbed at the intensity of the relationship between the pair.

He claimed that on more than one occasion he pleaded with Marion Graham to take Shannon back to Ireland as the relationship was becoming a problem.

Mr Cetin recalled the events on the day of the murder.

He said that the first time he heard of the killings was a telephone call from a friend who said that Recep was in the police station for murdering two women.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News