UK police warn man may be armed and on run here after shooting
A FUGITIVE from police in England following a shooting may be armed and hiding out in Ireland.
Francis O'Donoghue (27) is the subject of an Essex Police manhunt after he allegedly tried to kill two of his neighbours on a Travellers' site in Navestock on August 27.
The two men, aged in their 20s, sustained gunshot wounds to the legs and chest and had to undergo surgery.
Police believe the shooting was the culmination of an ongoing feud between neighbours which had begun outside a shop in Harold Wood, east London earlier that day.
Detectives have not ruled out the possibility that Mr O'Donoghue has travelled to this country on his Irish passport and have warned the public not to approach him as he may be armed.
"Francis O'Donoghue is the force's number-one priority arrest and people living and working in Ireland could play a key role in helping us arrest him," said Essex Police superintendent Trevor Roe.
"He is potentially in possession of a handgun, so everyone can see the necessity for him to be taken off the streets.
"With this in mind, we need the community's eyes and ears and urge them to call us with sightings, so that we can act on the information and detain him."
He urged people not to approach the 27-year-old glazier, and to call police immediately if they see him. However, he said there was nothing to suggest that people in the wider community were at risk.
Mr O'Donoghue is described as white, approximately 5ft 11in tall, of medium build, has short-brown hair and has protruding ears. Anyone who knows of the man's whereabouts should call 999.
Police in Essex have made international police organisation Interpol aware of the manhunt, should Mr O'Donoghue travel to Ireland or to another country.
A garda spokesperson said the force "co-operates fully with every police force if they ask us for assistance".
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie