independent

Sunday 20 April 2014

Two viable pipe bombs made safe

The PSNI said the devices have been taken for forensic examination

Police said two viable pipe bombs have been made safe in Belfast.

Army technical experts were called to the scene at Lenadoon Avenue in the west of the city after two suspicious objects were discovered during a planned search.

Up to 20 families were evacuated from their homes during the alert.

Police had carried out searches in the same area earlier this week.

Sinn Fein councillor for the area Gerard O'Neill said he believed officers were acting on fresh information.

"The police said they would be doing follow-ups and obviously they have received further information," he said.

A spokesman for the PSNI said the devices have been taken for forensic examination.

All roads have been reopened and residents allowed back to their homes.

Press Association

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Independent.ie on Twitter

More

Most Read

Daily Deals

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News