Two motorists caught driving 50pc over the speed limit on National Slow Down Day
Gardai have cracked down on 341 speeding motorists within the space of 24 hours, with one travelling 138km/h in an 80km/h zone.
National Slow Down Day was held over a 24 hour period from 7am yesterday in a bid to get motorist to comply with speed limits.
Two vehicles were detected travelling 50pc above the speed limit, with one driver in Limerick travelling at 91km/h in a 60km/h zone, and a driver in Kildare doing 75km/h in a 50km/h zone.
Gardaí and GoSafe checked 135,010 vehicles throughout the duration of the initiative, with the vast majority of motorists deemed to be compliant.
162 people were killed on Irish roads last year and excessive speed was proven to be a major contributing factor. It is hoped that National Slow Down Day will help reduce this number.
Chief Superintendent Aidan Reid, Roads Policing Bureau said: "On behalf of An Garda Síochána and the Road Safety Authority I wish to thank all the organisations who were involved in and supported this campaign.
“Drivers, please, think about the consequences of speeding the next time you get behind the wheel and reduce your speed accordingly.”
“A special thank you to the schools and students across the country who provided poster images, poems and songs, available to view and hear on the Garda Facebook page, in support of this campaign,” said Mr Reid.
See some notable detections over the 24 hour period of National Slow Down Day:
• 138 km/h in an 80km/h zone on the Belgard Road Tallaght Dublin24 Dublin
• 91 km/h in a 60km/h zone on the N21 at Croagh Rathkeale Limerick
• 75 km/h in a 50km/h zone on the R445 at Ballymany Newbridge Kildare
• 107 km/h in an 80km/h zone on the R498 at Fishmoyne Borrisoleigh Tipperary
• 139 km/h in a 100 km/h zone on the N5 at Drummindoo Westport Mayo
• 130 km/h in a 100 km/h zone on the N25 at Loughaderry Midleton Cork
• 129 km/h in a 100 km/h zone on the N13 Treantaboy Drumkeen Donegal
• 83 km/h in a 60 km/h zone on the N69 Billeragh Listowel Kerry
• 69 km/h on a 50 km/h zone on the R712 Pennefatherslot Kilkenny Kilkenny
• 107 km/h in an 80 km/h zone on the R498 Fishmoyne Borrisoleigh Tipperary
• 89 km/h in a 60 km/h zone on the L3042 Fortyacres Piercetown Wexford
• 88 km/h in a 60 km/h zone on the R586 Murragh Enniskeane Cork
• 65km/h in a 50km/h zone on the N80 Newtownbarry Bunclody Wexford
• 62 km/h in a 50 km/h zone on the R245 at Ballyraine Letterkenny Donegal
• 108 km/h in an 80 km/h zone on the R458 at Ballyconneely Newmarket On Fergus Clare
• 139 km/h in a 100 km/h zone on the N24 at Whitehall Limerick Limerick
• 130 km/h in a 100 km/h zone on the N25 at Ballyadam Cork Cork