Thursday 29 September 2016

Two more held over Regency Hotel attack, bringing total arrests to seven

Ken Foy and Robin Schiller

Published 01/06/2016 | 02:30

Detective Superintendent Tony Howard yesterday appealed for people to come forward with information. Photo: Conor McCabe
Detective Superintendent Tony Howard yesterday appealed for people to come forward with information. Photo: Conor McCabe

A criminal from Dublin's northside is one of two men aged in their 50s who were being questioned last night about the Regency Hotel murder.

  • Go To

The suspect, from the East Wall area, was arrested on Monday evening and was being held at Clontarf garda station.

Armed gardaí arrested a second suspect yesterday morning and he is being detained at Ballymun garda station.

A garda spokesman said that a total of seven people had now been arrested for the Regency Hotel attack, during which David Byrne (33) was shot dead.

One of these, a 24-year-old Dublin man, was charged last month with David Byrne's murder on February 5.

However, sources said that detectives did not believe that either of the men arrested this week were gunmen in the Regency. Gardaí suspect that over a dozen people were involved in the shooting and getaway effort.

Meanwhile, a garda responsible for tackling Ireland's organised-crime gangs has said that communities are suffering badly as a result of the feud.

Appealing for people with information to come forward, Detective Superintendent Tony Howard said: "People need to know there is no such thing as a victimless crime.

"All crime has a victim and I suppose one of the biggest victims in the current feud in the north-inner city is the communities who are suffering."

However, Det Supt Howard also said that a number of people had come forward. "They're turning on each other. People need to help their own communities and they need to come forward with information."

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News