Two men held over gangland killing of father shot in front of his son (11)
Published 26/11/2012 | 13:46
TWO suspects have been arrested by gardai investigating the gangland-style murder of a man in front of his 10-year-old son.
Declan O'Reilly was shot dead on Dublin's South Circular Road on September 24.
The child was just feet away from his father when he was gunned down.
This morning, detectives from Kevin Street Garda Station arrested two men, who they believe were involved in the murder.
Sources say that neither of the duo – who are well known to officers – are suspected of actually shooting O'Reilly.
A Garda spokesman said that two men, both in their mid-20s, were taken to Kevin Street and Kilmainham Garda stations.
They can be held for up to seven days under Section 50 of the Criminal Justice Act 2007.
Deputy Garda Commissioner Nacie Rice earlier described the shooting of O'Reilly as “an act of depravity”, given that his killers did not hesitate to shoot him dead, even though he was standing beside his child.
This morning's arrests are the third in the detailed murder investigation.
Last month, a man in his 20s was released without charge after being quizzed for a number of days about the murder.
Mr O'Reilly, a convicted criminal, was aware his life was under threat since a jury acquitted him of killing Derek Glennon in Mountjoy Prison in 2007
O'Reilly had survived a similar attack last year.
In February 2011, O’Reilly was acquitted of his murder and death threats were made against him by associates of Glennon.
Last week on RTE's Crimecall show, gardai released footage that showed O'Reilly just three minutes before he was shot dead.
The CCTV footage was recorded in the Spar shop on Dublin's South Circular Road at 7.55pm on September 24.
Just minutes later, O'Reilly was shot dead in front of his traumatised young boy, now aged 12.
The killer emerged from a stolen BMW 3 Series and fired four shots from a handgun.
Det Insp Sean Campbell from Kevin Street Garda Station urged anyone with information on the hit to contact them.
He said: “This was a brutal murder and everything is being done to bring O'Reilly's killers to justice.
“We would particularly like to speak again to one individual who has already made contact with gardai.”