Monday 2 March 2015

Two men charged in connection with petrol station robbery

Olivia Kelleher

Published 31/05/2014 | 17:20

UP FOR GRABS: Loans belonging to Topaz Oil are believed to be wrapped up in Project Evergreen, as the Anglo and Irish Nationwide loan books are divided into projects for the sell-off
The robbery at the Topaz Service Station occurred in Leitrim Street on Thursday.

Two men have appeared before a special sitting of Cork District Court in connection with a raid at a service station in the city earlier this week.

Eoin O’Sullivan (26) and Conor O’Connor (33), who are both unemployed today appeared before Judge Olann Kelleher charged with the robbery at the Topaz Service Station in Leitrim Street on May 29th.

Det Garda Eimear Brennan gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution in relation to Mr O’Connor who has an address at Leitrim Street in the city.

Detective Brennan told the court the accused replied he was 'sorry' when the charge was put to him after caution. No objection for bail was made in relation to Mr O’Connor.

Gardai requested that he continue to reside at his address and sign on every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the Bridewell Garda Station in the city. Other conditions of his bail include abstaining from intoxicants and staying away from the service station where the robbery occurred.

Mr O'Connor was remanded on his own bond of €400 to appear in court again on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Det Garda Niall O’Connell gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution in relation to Eoin O’Sullivan. The court heard that Mr O’Sullivan, of Bride Vallley View in Fairhill, Cork made no reply to the charge after caution.

Det O’Connell objected to bail in the case based on the seriousness of the charge and the strength of the evidence against the accused.

Solicitor Eddie Burke, acting on behalf of Mr O’Sullivan, made an application for bail in the case to facilitate his client’s continued attendance at a methadone programme to deal with his heroin addiction.

Judge Kelleher refused bail and remanded O’Sullivan in custody to appear in court again on Tuesday. He ordered that he receive appropriate medical attention while in custody.

Free legal aid was granted to both men.

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News