TV3 accuses rival of dirty tricks after 'Liveline' attack
TV3 last night accused RTE of waging a "dirty tricks" war against the commercial station.
A war of words erupted between the rival broadcasters after a late-night game show run by TV3 was berated by callers to RTE's 'Liveline'.
A spokeswoman for TV3 accused host Joe Duffy of treating the commercial station unfairly after he repeated several times on air that he had been unable to get a representative from the station to reply to callers' concerns.
She said a lengthy statement she sent to the 'Liveline' office almost two hours before the show went on air was ignored, despite the fact that it clarified some of the worries.
She said TV3 were unable to respond live to callers because the station hosted a visit from the Taoiseach Brian Cowen while 'Liveline' was on air.
The 'Liveline' debate was prompted by a caller, identifying herself as Anna, who said she had won €700 on TV3's 'Play TV' programme but had yet to receive her winnings.
Speaking to the Irish Independent yesterday, 'Anna' said she had participated in the game show on August 23 and had been told she had won €700 which she would receive in four weeks' time.
August 23 is exactly four weeks ago. 'Anna' became concerned that she might have been "scammed" when she left two messages on an information hotline but did not get a response.
In the statement sent to 'Liveline', the TV3 spokeswoman challenged researchers to meet her, hinting that there was an on-going anti-TV3 bias.