Tubridy drops hint about RTE departure
Published 02/07/2011 | 05:00
RTE presenter Ryan Tubridy has hinted that his long-term future lies away from the state broadcaster.
The 37 year old will begin a short stint working on BBC radio later this month before returning to RTE to present new seasons of his radio show and 'The Late Late Show'.
However, his RTE contract is due to end next year.
And as he wrapped up his 2fm show yesterday, Tubridy said he considered himself a "lucky man with a great job" but admitted anything is possible.
"I have another season of 'The Late Late Show' to finish out for 2012, so God knows after that. We will see where the world takes us," Tubridy told the Irish Independent.
The presenter will kick off his summer stint on Saturday morning BBC Radio 2 on July 23, and revealed he had already agreed to do a spread for 'Radio Times' magazine.
"My first loyalty is to the 'RTE Guide' but it's all part of the UK press and publicity I'm doing in the next few weeks."
Tubridy will meet his new BBC producer shortly and said it was still too early to discuss possible guests or the show's content. However, he said he would not be changing his broadcasting style for the UK audience.
"My feeling is that they asked me to do the job as me, and not some pantomime act," he said.
"What I will do is just go over. If they like what they hear, great. If not, that's fine too but I'm not going to think about it for now, or worry," he said.
The 2fm host had originally hoped to have the four stars from 'Get Back: the Story of The Beatles', which runs in The Olympia on July 8 and 9, perform on the roof of RTE during his show yesterday.
However, in the end they had to do their live set in a beer garden in Montrose because of safety issues.