News Irish News

Sunday 28 May 2017

Tribune off the Hook as libel action abandoned

BROADCASTER George Hook has abandoned his libel claim against Tribune Newspapers.

Barrister Conor Feeney told Circuit Court president Mr Justice Matthew Deery that the company was now in receivership and his client felt it would be pointless pursuing the issue.

The Newstalk presenter issued defamation proceedings against Tribune Newspapers in relation to an article in the Sunday Tribune in October last year.

Mr Hook (69), of Foxrock, Dublin 18, had in March also sought to join journalist Eithne Tynan, Kilbaha, Kilrush, Co Clare, as a co-defendant to the proceedings on the grounds she was the author of the article in question. A month later, he abandoned that application.

Mr Feeney, counsel for Mr Hook, had told the County Registrar that the Receiver appointed to Tribune Newspapers had failed to enter any defence to his claim for €38,000 which in default of defence was granted against Tribune Newspapers to Mr Hook in April last.

At that time Mr Feeney told Ms Ryan the Receiver initially engaged with Mr Hook's solicitors but since then there was no response to letters even though the Receiver was not opposing Mr Hook's application.

Judge Deery struck out the proceedings.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News