News Irish News

Sunday 23 October 2016

Trevor O'Neill's father: I don't think I will ever get over the loss

Robin Schiller

Published 22/08/2016 | 02:30

Trevor's father Vincent
Trevor's father Vincent
Innocent victim Trevor O'Neill

The father of an innocent man shot dead in Spain has described how he is struggling to come to terms with the loss.

  • Go To

Father-of-three Trevor O'Neill (41) was gunned down in Majorca in a case of mistaken identity last week.

His father, Vincent O'Neill (below), has told how he has been left "in bits" following the callous murder, which is believed to have been carried out by members of the Kinahan cartel. "I'm in bits, I don't think I will ever get over this. I don't know if I'll be able to survive, he was my only remaining son.

"He was just a super human being and all I can be thankful for is 40 years of him," Vincent said. "The only consolation - the only consolation - I have is that if there's a heaven, he's gone up to it. He was too good, he was too good, so he can't go anywhere else. The only thing I'll tell you about Trevor is he was the best young fella."

Spanish police are continuing to investigate the murder and are in the process of examining two cars that they believed were used in the hit.

The two vehicles, a Volkswagen Golf and a Seat Leon, were discovered burnt out a short distance from where the shooting happened.

The intended target of the hit was Jonathan Hutch (37), a nephew of Gerry 'The Monk' Hutch. Jonathan Hutch is not involved in crime and is believed to have been targeted because of his family connections.

Last Wednesday's killing is the 10th murder linked to the ongoing Hutch/Kinahan feud.

Mr O'Neill is the second person to be killed in a case of mistaken identity, with father Martin O'Rourke (24) also mistakenly gunned down in April.

Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald, meanwhile, said that "no effort is being spared" in terms of Garda resources into the investigation of murders.

"The Government has done everything it has been asked to do by An Garda Síochána in terms of giving them the resources they need to tackle it.

"But it is very disturbing and I am sure it disturbs people to hear about this latest case involving somebody out walking with children," Ms Fitzgerald said.

"It is dreadful to see the events in Spain but I want to assure the public that everything that can be done is being done."

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News