Traveller shot twice in drive-by shooting
A YOUNG man who was shot twice in a drive-by attack at a service station is the latest victim of an ongoing feud between two Traveller families.
The 21-year-old, named locally as Jack Maughan, was shot twice with a pellet gun at a service station in Moneen, Castlebar, Co Mayo, on Sunday evening.
He is a member of a well-known Traveller family who live at The Campsite, Moneen.
Mr Maughan suffered minor injuries to his back and arm and was treated at Mayo General Hospital in Castlebar.
An incident last year led to an all-out feud between the two families.
"It's an issue of huge concern. Nobody knows where it is going to end," one local told the Irish Independent.
"This is going to change the whole feud. People are afraid there will be further retaliation."
Local representatives in Castlebar have voiced their concern at the latest incident and warned that they feared matters could escalate.
"I'm afraid this is going to get much worse.
"The issue of anti-social behaviour has gotten out of hand in the last year and we don't have the garda resources to deal with it," said Independent councillor Frank Durcan.
"It's frightening. This town would have been one of the safest in the country until the last year but now crime has escalated.
"I'd be very, very concerned about where this will end."
Mr Maughan was getting into his white Transit van at the Mace Topoil Filling Station in Moneen when a black car pulled up alongside him and the shots were fired.
Two pellets were lodged in the victim's back and arm. Mr Maughan's brother, Martin, was with him at the time and suffered minor injuries.
The Transit van has been taken to Castlebar garda station for forensic examination.
A garda forensic team has also carried out an examination of the scene.
They are now awaiting the results of ballistic tests on the pellets to determine what type of weapon was involved.
Investigating gardai are also continuing to search for a black Volkswagen Golf that made off from the scene in the direction of Balla.
Anyone with information is asked to contact gardai at Castlebar on 094-902222.
A garda spokesman confirmed that no arrests had been made so far.
He added that gardai were continuing to "explore all avenues of investigation".