Transport Minister: No further cuts to Irish Rail subvention
Published 01/09/2014 | 16:51
Transport Minister Paschal Donohoe has said that he will be not proposing any further cuts to the Government subvention to Irish Rail next year.
Speaking earlier today at the signing of the new five-year Luas operating contract with Transdev, Mr Donohoe said that he will be proposing that there will be no further cuts to the Government budget for Irish Rail.
“Across the discussion in the run up to this particular point, I always emphasised that so it is my intention to commence negotiations in relation to next year's budget, by proposing no further cut for next year in subvention to Irish Rail,” he added.
Exploratory talks at the LRC between the unions and rail chiefs reconvened this morning, ahead of the second wave of strike action which is set to take place this weekend.
The SIPTU and NBRU trade unions represent the 2,100 workers involved in the dispute.
And Owen Reidy, a SIPTU organiser, said that subvention is a “fundamental issue” in the negotiation process.
Strike action is expected to take place this Sunday and Monday, causing chaos for the 80,000 GAA fans who will be in the capital for the All Ireland hurling final between Kilkenny and Tipperary. While students and workers travel plans will also be disrupted the following day.
The last strike, which took place last week, cost the debt laden company almost €1.5m.