Tragic victims of carbon monoxide poisoning returned to UK
Published 06/01/2012 | 05:00
The bodies of the father and his two children who died tragically in their home from carbon monoxide poisoning a week before Christmas have been returned to England for burial.
Trevor Wallwork (50) and his children, Kim (12) and Harry (9), died in the incident just outside the village of Gurteen, Co Sligo, on December 18. Their bodies were moved to Salford, Lancashire, yesterday.
The coroner in Bolton is awaiting certain documents before giving approval for the funeral service, which is due to take place at 10am on Tuesday at St Mark's Church, Swinton, Manchester.
Mr Wallwork's wife, Susan, who is battling cancer, will be told by doctors on Monday whether she is well enough to travel to England for the funeral service. Her 22-year-old daughter Vicky, who found the bodies at the 'Forget Me Not' cottage in the townland of Moygara, will travel to the UK for the funeral.
Mrs Wallwork last week left her sick-bed to join a community prayer service with 400 other mourners in the chapel of the Nazareth House, Sligo.
Garda Inspector Colm Nevin, who is heading the inquiry into the deaths, said yesterday that it could be several weeks before toxicology tests were available and it would be some months before an inquest would be held in Sligo.
However, investigators believe the three died from carbon monoxide poisoning as Mr Wallwork sat in an armchair and his children lay on the floor watching television in their living-room of their home.
Kim had been writing a Christmas gift list for her family.
Sligo fire experts believe a blockage caused by a large crisp bag caught in a chimney over a coal fire may have caused the poisoning.
Mr Wallwork, who had Kim and Harry by a previous marriage, and Mrs Wallwork, who had Vicky by an earlier relationship, moved from England to Gurteen seven years ago.
The two younger children attended Mullaghroe national school where they represented the school gaelic football teams.