Tragic Harry and Kim had starred on local GAA fields
Published 22/12/2011 | 05:00
THEY may have been born in England but in their short lives, tragic siblings Harry and Kim Wallwork had already displayed a talent for Gaelic games.
Harry (9) and Kim (12) died alongside their father from carbon monoxide poisoning at their cottage in Co Sligo on Sunday.
Last summer the children were picked for their school Gaelic football teams, going on to represent them in county finals of Cumann na mBunscoil at Markievicz Park.
Kim was particularly talented, and although her Mullaghroe National School side lost in the final, she was singled out for special mention after the game in a match report for local paper the Sligo Champion.
Harry also was a budding GAA star and he was delighted to have also reached the final with his school side.
Local man Des Horan said he knew the family well.
"They were very pleasant and happy children," he said. "Kim was a bit more reserved but Harry was a real boy and loved the craic.
"Their father Trevor was a real gentleman and I have to say all of them will be missed around Gurteen. It is just heart-breaking for so many people."
Susan Wallwork bid a heart-broken goodbye to Trevor and her stepchildren during an emotional visit to the morgue at Sligo General Hospital.
She is being treated for cancer in the hospital.
Mrs Wallwork was accompanied by her daughter Vicky who discovered the bodies at the cottage near Gurteen.
"They meant the world to her and she insisted on making the short two-minute walk from the hospital ward to the morgue to view the bodies,'' said a family friend. "She is a very brave woman."
Gardai believe the father and the children died accidentally but are reluctant to say that publicly until the results of toxicology tests are returned in the New Year.
The children's birth mother, Mr Wallwork's ex-wife Donna, is thought to be living with her parents in Leigh, Greater Manchester.
Arrangements are being made to return the bodies to England after Christmas.