Tourism Minister Paschal Donohoe tells tourists for St Patrick's Day: 'Dublin is a safe city despite awful murders in a number of days'
Published 17/02/2016 | 12:09
Tourism Minister Paschal Donohoe has said that gangland shootings should not deter tourists from visiting the city to celebrate St Patrick’s Day.
Mr Donohoe gave the message to tourists while he was launching the St Patrick’s Day festival that Dublin is a safe city, despite the two gangland murders that took place within a number of days.
“Despite the awful murders that did take place in our city across a number of days, that Dublin is a safe city, a vibrant city and if you want the best opportunity to sample all that our city has to offer – it’s across the days of St Patricks Festival,” he said.
David Byrne (34) was shot dead during a boxing weigh-in at the Regency Hotel in the north of the city on February 5 by a six strong gang, some armed with assault rifles.
While Eddie Hutch (59) was shot dead when four masked gunmen entered into his house on Poplar Row in North Strand shortly before 8pm on Monday night of last week.
Minister Donohoe said St Patrick's Day brings an influx of tourists into Dublin every year, and he said the festival would celebrate its 21st birthday next month.
"This event is hugely important for Dublin and for Ireland. For our country alone, it brings in 100,000 international visitors into our country and it’s worth over €70m in revenue to the city of Dublin.”