An action for defamation taken by businessman Padraig O Ceidigh against a Galway Fine Gael councillor has been settled out of court.
Former Aer Arann boss Mr O Ceidigh had sued Galway city councillor Padraig Conneely over comments he made about him at a meeting held in the chambers of Galway City Council in 2010.
Mr Conneely's solicitor, Brian Leahy, told Judge Rory MacCabe at Galway Civil Court that the matter had been "straightened out" and was now settled between the parties subject to a statement of clarification from his client being read out in court. The terms of the agreement reached, he said, were to remain confidential to the parties. Mr Leahy read the statement aloud to the court on behalf of Mr Conneely.
It read: "I wish to clarify that the words I spoke at Galway City Council's meeting on October 11, 2010, and afterwards to the press in relation to Mr Padraig O Ceidigh were never intended by me to cast any aspersion on Mr O Ceidigh's good character.
"I am aware that Mr O Ceidigh is a very good chairman of Failte Ireland, West Region Tourism Forum and I wish him the very best in the future.
"I acknowledge that Mr O Ceidigh did not cancel meetings of the Failte Ireland West Region Tourism Forum due to (a) his being too busy; (b) because of other commitments; or (c) his not having the time to give to tourism.
"Any misunderstanding that may have occurred is regretted," the statement said.
On the application of Mr Leahy, Judge MacCabe then struck the matter out.
Afterwards, Mr O Ceidigh said he was absolutely delighted the matter was now over and his good name had been vindicated.