Three held after raid on shop where two shot dead in 2005 sting
Published 21/01/2013 | 05:00
A SHOP which was the scene of a violent robbery where two men were shot dead by an armed garda more than seven years ago was again targeted by raiders over the weekend.
Gardai are questioning three men who were arrested after leaving the Costcutter shop and post office in Lusk Village, north Co Dublin.
At around 10.05pm on Saturday men wearing balaclavas entered the shop carrying a firearm.
They threatened staff before fleeing with close to €10,000 in cash. Later, three men, aged in their mid 20s to late 40s, were apprehended by detectives from Balbriggan garda station when they intercepted a car. The men would not get out, forcing officers to break a car window to make the arrests.
Two firearms were recovered, along with all of the money. The car was also seized.
No customers or staff were injured during the raid and investigations are continuing.
The shop was closed yesterday as gardai carried out examinations at the scene.
John Wilson, who owns the Costcutter shop, said that he had been dealing with the fallout from the robbery for most of the day.
"I've been up for almost 24 hours at this stage," he told the Irish Independent yesterday. He didn't want to comment further.
The suspects have been detained at Swords, Raheny and Clontarf garda stations.
Two men were killed in a raid on the shop more than seven years ago.
A member of the Garda Emergency Response Unit (ERU) shot dead Eric Hopkins (24) and Colm Griffin (33).
It followed a garda sting operation to thwart a €50,000 heist at the post office in the shop.
The detective who opened fire on the two raiders said he feared for his life and the life of the customers during the incident, which happened in May 2005.