Monday 16 January 2017

They killed my dreams, says man accused of Turkey deaths

Shane Hickey and Deborah McAleese

Published 22/08/2011 | 08:11

Shannon Graham with her father Raymond McGuinness yesterday outside the
apartment she had been staying in with mother Marion in Kusadasi, Turkey
Shannon Graham with her father Raymond McGuinness yesterday outside the apartment she had been staying in with mother Marion in Kusadasi, Turkey
Alleged killer Recip Cetin pictured with Shannon Graham
Marion Graham
Kathy Dinsmore

THE Turkish boyfriend of Shannon Graham told police that he murdered her mother and her best friend because "they killed my dreams".

  • Go To


Recep Cetin, a waiter in the seaside resort of Kusadasi, allegedly confessed that he stabbed the women after failing to convince Shannon's mother Marion that the pair should marry and move to Ireland to make a life together.

During a private court hearing in Bayrakli Courthouse in the city of Izmir on Friday night, a judge was given access to the initial police reports so that he could decide if there was enough evidence to remand Mr Cetin in custody.

Details of the court hearing have only just emerged and the police reports presented to the judge state that when asked by police why he had murdered Mrs Graham and Kathy Dinsmore, Mr Cetin replied: “They killed my dreams.”

He told officers that when he first met Shannon “I was in love” and said that the pair had been planning to get married and live in Ireland, but that Mrs Graham had not wanted it to happen.

Meanwhile, questions have emerged over Mr Cetin's age, with some saying he may be older than 17. If it transpires that he is over 17 – which was initially reported as his age – he would be dealt with in the adult court.

No official moves have been made yet by the prosecution to try and determine his age, but if an investigation was launched it could delay the court process by several months.

Mr Cetin told officers the women came with him to Izmir on Thursday because he told them he had a friend there with a good picnic area. Shannon was on a boat trip at the time.

After listening to the preliminary police case, the judge decided there was enough evidence to detain Mr Cetin. He is being held in a juvenile justice centre.

He is not expected to appear back before the court for several weeks. It is also possible that because he is a juvenile, the judge can rule that any court hearing is held in private.

Mr Cetin's father and a taxi driver were also arrested for questioning over the murders but the judge ordered that they be released as he did not believe there was a case against them.

It is understood that an initial forensics report shows that both women were stabbed 15 times, mainly in the chest area. Stabbed Mr Cetin is alleged to have stabbed Marion first.

When Kathy saw what was happening she tried to flee, but he is accused of then turning on her, stabbing her to death. A full autopsy report is expected to be released to the police today.

It is understood that the two bodies are to be moved from the morgue in Izmir this morning with preparations to fly them back to Ireland under way.

Mrs Graham's ex-husband Raymond McGuinness and their son David arrived in Izmir on Saturday evening to formally identify the bodies while Ms Dinsmore's niece and nephew Ruby and Robert flew in yesterday.

Mr McGuinness said he hoped a flight back to Ireland could be arranged by the middle of the week.

“We've identified the bodies and my main concern now is my daughter,” Mr McGuinness said. “We're going to arrange the flight home as soon as possible.”

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News