News Irish News

Sunday 23 April 2017

'The whole house is destroyed' - Family's lucky escape from house blaze after granddad woke up to 'popping and crackling' sounds

Christy Stenson outside his home which burst into flames in the early hours of Wednesday morning on Walnut Rise in Glasnevin. Pic:Mark Condren
Christy Stenson outside his home which burst into flames in the early hours of Wednesday morning on Walnut Rise in Glasnevin. Pic:Mark Condren
A house fire that broke out in the early hours of Wednesday morning on Walnut Rise in Glasnevin. Pic:Mark Condren
Conor Feehan

Conor Feehan

THIS is the moment an intense fire ripped through the roof of a family home.

The family had a lucky escape after the fire ignited while they slept.

Christy Stenson, his wife Ann, and grandson Liam, were forced to flee the flames when the blaze started in the attic of their semi detached house on Walnut Rise in Glasnevin.

Five units of Dublin Fire Brigade from Phibsboro, North Strand and Finglas fought the fire for over an hour to bring it under control.

Christy told how he had woken to the sounds of popping and crackling over his head at around 3am.

“I didn’t know what the noise was. I thought it was something in the bathroom and I went to check and I couldn't see anything there,” he told the Herald.

A house fire that broke out in the early hours of Wednesday morning on Walnut Rise in Glasnevin. Pic:Mark Condren
A house fire that broke out in the early hours of Wednesday morning on Walnut Rise in Glasnevin. Pic:Mark Condren

“My grandson is a diabetic and I thought maybe he might not be well or something, but then I got a suspicion that it was something in the attic.

“I pulled down the stairs from the attic and then I could see just see the whole attic was glowing and I shut the hatch and got everyone out,” Christy explained.

A house fire that broke out in the early hours of Wednesday morning on Walnut Rise in Glasnevin. Pic:Mark Condren
A house fire that broke out in the early hours of Wednesday morning on Walnut Rise in Glasnevin. Pic:Mark Condren

“I was trying to dial 999 but I didn't realise that the landline was burned through so I had to go back upstairs to get the mobile.

“By the time the fire brigade arrived the flames were dancing off the roof. The whole house is destroyed,” he added.

Christy Stenson outside his home which burst into flames in the early hours of Wednesday morning on Walnut Rise in Glasnevin. Pic:Mark Condren
Christy Stenson outside his home which burst into flames in the early hours of Wednesday morning on Walnut Rise in Glasnevin. Pic:Mark Condren

Liam’s medical supplies were also salvaged by the fire crew.

“I told them I’m diabetic and that all my insulin was upstairs and one of the firemen went up and found it for me,” he said.

The Stenson’s were today trying to salvage what they could from the house.

Online Editors

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News