The key changes affecting L and novice motorists
1. A learner car driver must log a minimum of 12 hours driving (16 hours for motorcyclists) with a supervising qualified driver, including night-time hours. To be introduced for motorcyclists from December 6 next and from April 4, 2011 for car drivers
2. The Blood Alcohol level reduced to 20mg/100ml for all learner and novice drivers for two years after they receive full licences. remaining at 50mg for more experienced drivers. This starts in September 2011 when the kits will be delivered to garda stations.
3. Penalty points for five specific offences doubled for learner and novice drivers. Double points will be applied for speeding, not wearing a seat belt, using a hand-held mobile phone, dangerous overtaking, and running traffic lights. Expected to be in place before 2012.
4. Novice drivers will be required to display an R (restricted) plate during the first two years of their full driving licence. Expected to be in place by 2012.
5. New powers for judges to deal with learner and novice drivers.
These include re-taking the driving test, having to fit a monitored speed limiter device, a ban on carrying passengers, curfew on permitted driving times, fitting a certified and monitored alcolock device and tachograph device, a certified and monitored speed recording and tracking device. Expected to be in place by 2012 at the earliest.