The good, the bad and the downright ugly
Published 23/08/2010 | 05:00
- BALLYMALEY Business Park, Ennis: Described as "exceptionally well maintained", with public areas in a spotless condition.
- Drogheda Railway Station: A very good site, well served by litter bins, cigarette butt units and litter awareness notices.
- Pairc Tailteann GAA stadium, Navan: The wide expanse of tarmac to the front was clear of litter. A virtual absence of litter around the perimeter.
- Cork Airport: All aspects in excellent condition. The site is also very well maintained.
- Lidl, Trim: Immaculate throughout.
- Gilmartin Road, Tuam: The residential road was the most heavily littered site in Tuam with dumping on a large scale. It was in an appalling state -- it is clearly being abused on a wide scale and ignored by authorities. Needs immediate attention.
- Slip road on to M20 from Roxboro Road, Limerick: Constant stream of litter along this road, much of which was old, indicating a lack of cleaning for quite some time.
- Tramore beach: Litter discarded in the immediate area, particularly fast-food wrappers, plastic bottles, pieces of plastic and sweet papers. This was the worst beach in the survey.
- Swimming pool, Ballina: This was in a shocking state and by far the most heavily littered site surveyed in Ballina -- there was a shocking level of food-related litter in every direction particularly caught up in the wired fence. The overall impression was one of a neglected environment. There were no visible litter bins in the area surveyed.
- Monaghan Town Council public playing pitch: A constant stream of litter around the perimeter of the pitch and on a grassy mound behind some goal posts -- heavy levels of a wide variety of litter were present, much of it food related.
All comments from An Taisce inspectors