Thursday 27 July 2017

'The community is shocked' - Disabled man (60s) who died in house fire in Wicklow named locally

The fire occurred at Windermere avenue in Invermore Park in Arklow at around 8.30am this morning.
The fire occurred at Windermere avenue in Invermore Park in Arklow at around 8.30am this morning.

Cian Murray, Chai Brady

A man in his 60s has died in a house fire in Co. Wicklow this morning.

The man has been named locally as Derek “Dick” McLoughliin.

A local councillor, Mary McDonald said Mr McLoughlin was "well-known in the area.”

She said he was described as “very friendly” by locals.

The fire occurred at Windermere Avenue in Invermore Park in Arklow at around 8.30am.

Gardaí have been sealed off the area for forensic examination.

Local priest of the Arklow Presbyterian Church, Nathan Duddy, drove up to the scene after he heard what happened. The church is less than a kilometre from the scene.

“We are quite near him, so when it was reported we found out from the guards that it was a man we know,” he said.

“He was a very well loved and valued member of the church and will be sorely missed.”

Councillor Miriam Murphy lives across the road from the house, and can see it from her kitchen. She did not see the fire herself.

“The community is shocked, it’s just dreadful, and you never think that these things will happen at your own doorstep,” she said.

Cllr Murphy said he was a wheelchair user like her, and “lived very independently”. She added that he was a private man and had been living in the area for about two years.

Online Editors

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News