independent

Monday 21 April 2014

Teen's hand saved after shock from PlayStation

A TEENAGE boy who suffered a severe electric shock while plugging in his PlayStation has undergone emergency surgery in hospital to save the fingers on his left hand.

The freak accident happened last Monday January 14 when Shane Hall (13) went to plug his game console into a socket at home and a bolt of electricity shot through his hand, causing severe burns.

It is believed he was saved from worse injury by a school locker key in his trouser pocket, which acted as a conductor.

Shane from McClure Meadows, Co Wexford was rushed to Wexford General Hospital and transferred to Crumlin Hospital in Dublin. Surgeons there operated on his fingers the next day.

"The operation went very well but we're still all shocked really," said Shane's grandfather John Denton. Shane's parents, Dermot and Sinead, remained at his bedside for much of his week-long stay in hospital before their son was discharged on Monday.

"He has been getting lots of support from the school and from his classmates and friends," said Shane's grandfather, John.

He said his grandson is in "remarkably good form" considering his ordeal and was told by doctors he should be able to get back to playing sport in a few months.

Irish Independent

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Independent.ie on Twitter

More

Most Read

Daily Deals

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News