Thursday 29 June 2017

Tayto Park's 'House of Horrors' to reopen less than week after stairs collapse

The House of Horrors at Tayto Park was boarded up following the incident
The House of Horrors at Tayto Park was boarded up following the incident

Cian Murray

Tayto Park's House of Horrors is set to reopen tonight, less than a week after a collapsing stairs injured nine people at the attraction.

On Saturday, October 22, a wooden stairs gave way at the popular adventure centre in Ashbourne, Co Meath.

However, the organisers of the event say that all necessary changes have now been made to reopen the 'House of Horrors'.

Read more: 'All the children were screaming' - terror of Tayto stairs collapse

A statement issued on behalf of Tayto Park said: " [We] can confirm that the House of Horrors will re-open this evening, Friday the 28th of October. Tayto Park has fulfilled all requirements as outlined by the relevant authorities.

"The House of Horrors evening event is sold out tonight, the 29th and 30th of October. However, there is limited availability on the 31st October."

It is estimated there were around 25 people on the stairs when the structure collapsed.

Charles Coyle, general manager of the park, said after the collapse: "The stairs is a wooden structure, but we can't speculate as to what happened. It had been there for a good number of months, with people using it regularly.

"Tayto Park was totally staffed for levels beyond what was here at the time."

Online Editors

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News