Thursday 17 August 2017

Taoiseach: public sector down by 12,000 since 2008

TAOISEACH Brian Cowen yesterday revealed there has been a reduction of 12,000 in public sector staff over the past two years.

Mr Cowen said a recruitment freeze and schemes such as the Incentivised Scheme for Early Retirement had prompted the drop.

He insisted that despite the cut there had been no reduction in services provided to the taxpayer. He also confirmed savings will be made as a result of the Croke Park agreement this year.

Mr Cowen said the Government had reduced expenditure on consultants, advertising and public relations by €25m.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News