Suspect released in alleged park sex attack probe
Gardai investigating the alleged rape of a 15-year-old girl have released a suspect without charge.
The alleged sex attack happened in Mount Pleasant Park in Ranelagh at around 1am on Sunday, August 2.
A suspect, who is known to the girl, was arrested last week.
He was questioned at Rathmines Garda Station and later released without charge. A file on the case is now being prepared for the DPP.
The alleged victim was examined at the Sexual Assault Unit of the Rotunda Hospital after coming forward to gardai. It is understood medical tests show she did have some sort of sexual encounter.
The girl was said to be traumatised by the event and sources say she was known to her alleged attacker – who is an adult male.
“A criminal complaint of a rape was made and the medical report shows there was a sexual encounter,” a source said.
Mount Pleasant Park is a popular recreation spot during the day time, but locals say it is a magnet for anti-social behaviour at night. The park runs adjacent to a tennis club situated in front of the Georgian houses that form the square.
Forensic investigators examined the park on the morning after it was taped off following the complaint.