Surgeon to attend misconduct inquiry
AN Italian plastic surgeon has agreed to appear in person at an inquiry probing allegations of professional misconduct in relation to his treatment of an Irish woman who underwent breast augmentation.
A video conference between Marco Loiacono in Rome and the Medical Council's fitness-to-practice committee in Dublin had to be abandoned due to technical difficulties yesterday. Some evidence was heard via a phone link, but that too had to be suspended after lawyers for the council said it was unsuitable for complex evidence.
Mr Loiacono is facing 12 allegations of professional misconduct in relation to the treatment of 33-year-old receptionist Catherine McCormack from Swords, Co Dublin.
She underwent a breast augmentation surgery at an Advanced Cosmetic Surgery clinic on October 15, 2006.
At an earlier hearing, the mother of three said she had been initially happy with the outcome, but days after having her stitches out her left breast "became very swollen and very red and very tender".
The wound later came apart and the implant was removed by Mr Loiacono. Over a year after her initial surgery, and having spent the intervening time with two different-sized breasts, Ms McCormack had an implant reinserted at the Mater Hospital in Dublin.
Among the allegations made against Mr Loiacono is that he performed surgery on Ms McCormack within days of her initial consultation and that she had been incentivised by way of a discount to have the operation without an adequate "cooling-off period".
Consultant plastic and reconstructive surgeon Peter Meagher had also been due to give evidence.
Mr Loiacono agreed to attend in person the resumed hearing, scheduled for next Friday.