Thursday 21 September 2017

Students left in limbo by delayed grant ruling

Enda Dowling

MORE than 400 students who were refused grants for the last academic year are still waiting on a decision to be made about their appeal.

The continuing delay from Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) – the body which now administers the grant system for first and second years – means that students have been experiencing difficulties viewing exam results and making decisions about their academic future.

Yesterday, SUSI confirmed to the Irish Independent that all initial applications for third-level education grants for the 2012/13 academic year have been fully processed. However, SUSI said there were over 400 students who appealed their grant application refusal awaiting a final decision, but they should be processed by the end of this week.

It follows more than a year of frustration for applicants, with students being forced to drop out of college and some unable to use college facilities like libraries because they had not paid their "student contribution fee" of €2,250.

Applications for the 2012/13 academic year grants were first made to SUSI at the beginning of last year.

SUSI Communications Officer John Conway said they were "extremely confident" of being able to handle all applications for the coming academic year without repeat delays because of new measures introduced by the body.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News