Student 'probably' killed by cyanide
Published 15/08/2014 | 02:30
An open verdict was returned at the inquest into the death of a Belgian student who "most probably" had taken cyanide.
Francois Petitjean (23) from Neufchateau in Belgium died two days after he was found collapsed at the Times Hostel in Dublin's Camden Place on March 7 last year.
His inquest at Dublin Coroner's Court had heard that two weeks prior to his collapse a friend witnessed him pouring a vial of liquid into his drink which he later claimed was cyanide. Mr Petitjean, a chemstry student at DIT, was treated with three doses of cyanide antidote and responded well but brain death was later confirmed and he died on March 9.
On the final day of the inquest, intensive care consultant at St James's Hospital, Dr Thomas Ryan said that Mr Petitjean's response to the cyanide antidote was "highly suggestive" that he was suffering from cyanide toxicity when he came into the hospital, he told the court.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie