News Irish News

Thursday 21 September 2017

Stroke victim pushed off bus awarded €12,000

Ray Managh

A FORMER civil servant who was semi-paralysed after suffering a stroke has been awarded €12,000 after he was pushed off a bus by the driver.

Sean McGuinness (62) said he hit his head off the footpath and was crying and shouting for help with his feet still on the bus and his body on the ground.

Dublin Bus accepted Mr McGuinness had fallen as a result of the bus driver having pushed him.

Mr McGuinness, of Black-rock, Co Louth, said he suffered a stroke in 2008 and a year later was in the Mater Hospital, Dublin, for tests and treatment.

His sister had taken him into the city centre for refreshments and later left him to a bus stop in O'Connell Street, only two stops away from the hospital.

"I went into the bus and put the minimum fare in the machine," he told his barrister, Donough McDonough. "I muttered something about the fare being expensive and the driver told me I hadn't put in enough."

Mr McGuinness said the driver had told him to get off. He pushed him off the bus and he fell and hit his head against the path, he claimed.

Gerard O'Herlihy, opposing an application for aggravated damages against Dublin Bus, said liability had been conceded early in the case.

Judge Matthew Deery, awarding €12,000 damages, said it was difficult to assess what pain Mr McGuinness suffered as a result of his fall.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News