Thursday 17 August 2017

Strikes and travel chaos loom as bus talks collapse

NBRU’s Dermot O’Leary: focus is on unilateral cuts to pay
NBRU’s Dermot O’Leary: focus is on unilateral cuts to pay

Alan O'Keeffe

Talks aimed at resolving the crisis at Bus Éireann broke down last night as the prospect of strikes and travel disruption resurfaced.

Unions had been locked in discussions with management at the Workplace Relations Commission but last night they collapsed. Earlier this month strikes had been deferred at the last minute after the company withdrew plans to unilaterally impose new efficiency measures and changes to work practices.

Both sides disagreed late last night about the reasons the talks ended abruptly.

A statement from Bus Éireann said: "Bus Éireann are extremely disappointed that talks with unions have broken down at the WRC today following seven days of engagement.

"Despite their public pronouncements about engaging on addressing the high level of inefficiencies, there has been no flexibility shown during our engagement on efficiency measures.

Leaders of both transport unions rejected the company's assertion that they had not shown flexibility.

Dermot O'Leary, general secretary of the National Busworkers and Railworkers Union (NBRU), said: "The trade unions engaged in good faith and came into the WRC process committed to engaging in an agenda around efficiencies.

"Despite our commitment to do that, the company concentrated its focus on immediately cutting workers' take-home pay, which we would not countenance.

"If the company repeats its previous announcements around unilaterally cutting people's pay, we will have no alternative but to re-activate our strike action."

Read More: Bus strikes likely as talks between management and union break down

Willie Noone, SIPTU Transport Sector Organiser, said: "There were a number of inefficiencies outlined by the company on which we would concur about getting those inefficiencies out of the system and we could help the company in their financial difficulties.

"However, the company wants them immediately and they haven't come up with anything that would bring them in in a fair and equitable manner. We had looked for a reasonable time frame of a number of weeks where we could liaise with our members and try and get agreement in relation to a number of those inefficiencies.

"The company appears hell-bent on getting them in without giving us the time to go through the complexities of them.

"Any unnecessary overtime is there for the taking anyway. We would never safeguard that at all. But there is overtime which is part of core pay for years and to take that off people, which could run to €150 to €200 a week, is too much to bear for people who are reliant on it to pay their normal expenses.

"We are not going to provoke any dispute at all. On a number of occasions the company has said it is going to start implementing changes and we have said to them to pull back from the brink.

"We have made progress in identifying the inefficiencies."

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News