Tuesday 26 September 2017

Victim fears he won't get back into home until summer

Liam Butler helps with the clean-up at his friend Paul Clancy’s home in Annacotty in Limerick
Liam Butler helps with the clean-up at his friend Paul Clancy’s home in Annacotty in Limerick
Wayne O'Connor

Wayne O'Connor

A man who has seen his new home ruined by flooding said he will not be able to live there again until the summer.

Paul Clancy is worried about more flooding in Annacotty, Co Limerick, and said he would be pumping water out of his house each day the ESB releases water from Parteen Weir. He also fears he will not be able to insure his house again if he makes a claim.

"The house is only four years old and part of the planning conditions were to get the flooding history for this river, and it has not been flooded since Ardnacrusha was built - so the last thing that I expected was a flood," he said.

"I will have no insurance if I claim on this so the next thing now is to build my own flood defences," he added.

He maintained that this was the first time the area had been flooded in 100 years.

"They say it will not happen again," he said. "It all depends on what the ESB are doing. They said that they plan to release more water, so I expect it to be flooded again."

Mr Clancy was being helped by friends and neighbours yesterday, including Liam Butler, as they tried to get more than three feet of water out of his sitting room. He will be out of his house until the New Year, and possibly until as late as the summer.

"I was heading to work at 5.20pm on Saturday when I saw that the water was over the road in Annacotty. That is at the same level as my house so I knew that I was in trouble then," he said. "I met a council worker and we got sandbags up but within 20 minutes it had gone from my garden to inside the house."

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News