Stricken families claim they have been 'fobbed off' by councils as floodwater to peak
Published 12/12/2015 | 02:30
Flood-stricken families have accused local authorities of abandoning them as floodwaters look set to peak in the next 48 hours.
Water levels continued to rise along the River Shannon yesterday, while the River Lee in Cork was also on the verge of bursting its banks again.
A ‘status orange’ weather warning is in place for today, with Met Éireann predicting heavy rain will sweep in from the Atlantic and work its way across the country.
Chairman of the National Co-Ordination Group John Barry says concern is growing that the defences used in recent days to keep areas dry may not cope with the rising water levels.
Asked whether any families had been advised to move out of their homes ahead of the expected surge of floodwaters tomorrow and Monday, he said: “It might well come to that.”
But one mother-of-two, Shirley Mulcahy, whose family has been left stranded by floodwater in Clare, said she would not leave her home unless she was able to secure a safe environment for her sons, who have been diagnosed with autism and Asperger’s Syndrome.
The family are fed up with being “fobbed off” for years about the flooding conditions that arise like a plague almost annually, Ms Mulcahy says. She said her home and her nearest neighbours, who were cut off by the floods, had continuously taken the brunt of the release of water from the ESB-operated Parteen Weir.
“Something needs to happen. This is going on too long. The council and the ESB don’t have to live here. They can’t keep doing this to us,” Ms Mulcahy said. “We’re the forgotten people.”