Tuesday 27 June 2017

Full flood barriers to be erected as part of desperate efforts to protect businesses and homes

Storm Frank floods in Meadowbrook, Glanmire, co. Cork where the Glashaboy River broke its banks.
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

Desperate efforts are underway to protect businesses and homes in north Cork as the Rivers Bandon and Bridewell have broke their banks.

It is likely that full flood barriers will be erected in Fermoy today due to rising waters from the River Blackwater.

This will result in the closure of Kent Bridge as a preventative measure.

Earlier this morning at least a dozen homes had to be evacuated and two women with children had to be rescued from cars after Storm Frank caused flash floods in east Cork.

A spokesman for Cork County Council told Independent.ie that the Severe Weather Assessment Team met at 3am, 6am and 9am to discuss the critical flooding in the area.

They have received several reports that the village of Togher is now completely flooded.

The Defence Forces were mobilised in Midleton after torrential rainfall caused streams and rivers to break their banks.

The army teams worked with Cork Co Council staff and Midleton Fire Brigade on emergency pumping operations as multiple local roads were closed.

A woman and her two children were rescued after their vehicle became stranded between two floods in Midleton.

In Glanmire, a woman and a young child were similarly taken from her stranded car which was trapped by flood waters.

A dozen local homes, in a low-lying Midleton estate, were also evacuated as flood waters rose in a matter of minutes given the torrential rainfall.

Meanwhile, the west Cork town of Bandon was reeling from its second disastrous flood in the space of three weeks.

Torrential overnight rainfall from Storm Frank resulted in flooding in the town centre with up to 20 properties impacted so far with the river level still rising.

Full coverage here: Storm Frank: Man and four children rescued from swamped car as catastrophic flooding reported around the country

As on December 5, the worst case was North Main Street where numerous premises including Brady’s pub and the Munster Arms Hotel were left under more than four foot of flood water.

Hotelier Don O’Sullivan described the second flood in the space of three weeks as “absolute disaster for the town”.

Gillian Powell, a businesswoman in Bandon, has described how the community is struggling to keep the flood waters at bay.

"We're just keeping it at bay at the moment," she told Morning Ireland on RTE Radio One.

"It is certainly very threatening and we're glad that high tide is now passing. That will definitely help things.

"The next two hours are going to be really hard but at least we have daylight now and we can do the battle in the daylight hours.

"A team of neighbours and friends have come in, we lifted everything in the house and the school and traders in the town... we've been lifting their stock.

"It's really a quick rising flood and we hope it goes down quick.

"This is our third time in a month and I would also like to say that a lot of the traders that were promised compensation and had applied for it, did not get it before Christmas as promised.

"We are pretty weary of the weather but we are certainly weary of the way we are being treated by the authorities as well."

Online Editors

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News