Sunday 4 December 2016

€50m defence scheme to take seven years

Published 14/01/2016 | 02:30

A member of the fire service takes a short break as flooding continues in Bandon, Co. Cork, following storm Frank. Photo: Brian Lawless/PA Wire
A member of the fire service takes a short break as flooding continues in Bandon, Co. Cork, following storm Frank. Photo: Brian Lawless/PA Wire

A €50m defence scheme for Ireland's most flood-prone city won't be fully in place for seven years with traders now demanding special protection and repair funds.

  • Go To

Detailed plans for the Office of Public Works (OPW) scheme will not be ready until early this year - a delay of almost 12 months from when the plans were first expected to be ready.

Cork traders said they did not believe construction work would even begin until 2017.

The scheme, the largest flood defence plan in OPW history, is unlikely to be fully operational until 2023.

Cork Business Association chief executive Lawrence Owens said it was "a miracle" that the city avoided being flooded last month while other towns such as Bandon and Midleton were badly hit.

He warned that Cork needed immediate steps to mitigate potential flooding and help traders if it did occur.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News