Tuesday 27 September 2016

50 families forced out of homes by floods

Published 13/12/2015 | 12:42

Flooding from the city canal that affected homes in Richmond Park, Corbally in Limerick. Picture: Arthur Carron
Flooding from the city canal that affected homes in Richmond Park, Corbally in Limerick. Picture: Arthur Carron

50 families have so far been evacuated from their homes as a result of the flooding crisis.

  • Go To

Forecasters said today that there is no end in sight to the rain which will remain above average for the next week.

And fears of further floods in Limerick and Clare have been heightened after the ESB was today forced to allow more water flow through Parteen Weir.

ESB Engineering Manager Tom Browne told a meeting of the co-ordination group managing the crisis it is “very difficult” to say whether they may have open the weir even more in the coming days.

Homes have now been flooded in Shannon Harbour, Athlone, Corbally, Carrick-on-Shannon and parts of Cork.

Met Eireann’s Gerald Fleming said the days ahead will be “fairly wet” but the cold spell has passed.

Gardaí have urged people to be careful but Superintendent John Ferris should still “get out and about” support traders in the towns hit by floods.

More than 220 Defence Force personnel have spent the weekend pumping water away from residential areas and sandbagging river banks.

Water levels are continuing to rise the middle and lower catchment areas of the Shannon with the flood risk around Athlone remaining “severe”.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News