independent

Saturday 19 April 2014

Stay safe at Christmas

THE top fire safety tip at Christmas is usually not to borrow the batteries from your smoke alarm – no matter who is throwing a wobbler over batteries being missing in a gift.

Yet when it comes to candles during an electricity strike, always remember to place candles into solid holders.

And never put them anywhere near items which may catch fire, such as curtains, clothes or bedding. Most people who die in fires, die from smoke inhalation and not from burns – and it can take as little as three minutes to die from smoke inhalation.

Always place a proper-fitting spark guard in front of a fire and always place a guard in front of an open fire. Never put anything on the fire guard. Always make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy if you're doing a barbecue. www.firesafetyweek.ie

Sunday Independent

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Independent.ie on Twitter

More

Most Read

Daily Deals

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News