News Irish News

Wednesday 18 October 2017

State 'should not foot bill for faulty implants'

Lyndsey Telford and Louise Hogan

THE country's chief medical officer has vowed to ensure the fallout from faulty silicone breast implants affecting at least 1,500 women costs the taxpayer nothing.

Dr Tony Holohan said the Irish Medicines Board (IMB) would make it a priority to force the three clinics that used the industrial-grade gel to take financial responsibility.

He insisted the organisations have a duty of care to the women who received the controversial implants not knowing they were defective.

"Our primary efforts are to ensure that the three centres concerned do not step back from what their basic responsibilities are," said Mr Holohan during a grilling from the Joint Committee on Health and Children yesterday.

This comes in the wake of authorities fearing that 50 more Irish women than originally thought may have received the implants before the previously "safe" cut-off point of 2001.

It first emerged two years ago that breast implants created by French firm Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) were defective and that they were being withdrawn from use.

Of the 1,500 women in Ireland believed to have had them implanted over the last 10 years, 138 have experienced a rupture -- 35 of whom had ruptures in both breasts.

The implants were found to have contained industrial-grade silicone, which is used to stuff mattresses. While studies have since found that the industrial-grade silicone poses no health risks, the women have been advised to have them removed.

It is estimated that 'explantation' for every woman concerned would cost the Department of Health €10m -- funding it has not committed itself to.

Mr Holohan said he had contacted all three clinics concerned and received a generally positive response from the first two -- Clane Hospital in Co Kildare and Shandon Street Hospital in Co Cork. However, he said the third -- Harley Medical Group -- had been slow to respond and that he only recently received assurances that they will endeavour to fulfil their obligations to their former patients.

Dr Holohan said all costs should be the responsibility of the clinics.

The French firm that made the implants has since gone out of business, and is now being investigated for fraud.

Irish Independent

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News