Special Olympics bronze for Aisling
Published 27/06/2011 | 05:00
Athlete Aisling Beacom from Wicklow town yesterday won a bronze medal for Ireland on the opening day of the 2011 Special Olympics summer games in Greece.
Aisling, who was cheered on by her mother Pam and brother Shane, took bronze in the 800m freestyle swim in Athens after setting a new personal best of 15 minutes and 46.8 seconds.
Boy (14) hurt in fall on Croagh Patrick
A 14-year-old boy was airlifted from the summit of Croagh Patrick yesterday evening after falling near the summit.
The Limerick teenager had been climbing the mountain for the first time accompanied by his aunt when he slipped, sustaining head and pelvic injuries.
Members of Mayo Mountain Rescue carried the injured boy to a spot where both he and his aunt could be taken to hospital by a coastguard rescue helicopter.
The boy's condition is understood to be not life-threatening.
Vodafone jobs switch 'callous'
THE Communications Workers Union (CWU) staged a protest at Croke Park yesterday over Vodafone's plans to axe nearly 140 jobs from its Irish workforce.
CWU chief Terry Delany described as "callous and insensitive" the firm's plans to "off-shore" jobs to India and Egypt. Vodafone said in a statement that the review of its call centre staff would affect 45 of its own employees, who would be offered alternative roles, and 139 supplied by its customer care partner Rigney Dolphin.
Cannabis stench leads to arrest
A MAN has been arrested following the discovery of 70 cannabis plants valued at €35,000 in a rented house in Blarney, Co Cork.
Gardai made the discovery on Saturday at around 5.30pm after detecting a strong smell of cannabis in the area, which led them to the house. A man in his late 20s was arrested and taken to Gurranabraher garda station.
New E coli alert on raw bean sprouts
THE Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) yesterday renewed its warning to consumers not to eat raw bean sprouts after an outbreak of the potentially deadly E coli bacteria in France amid fears contaminated seeds may still be on the market.
The bacteria strain found in France is the same as that associated with bean sprouts that killed 40 Germans over the past month.