Wednesday 18 October 2017

South Dublin locals' rage at 'Costa del Sol' style apartment development

Pictured: The new development planned for Dalkey
Pictured: The new development planned for Dalkey
Pictured: The new development planned for Dalkey
Before: The area where the development is planned

Gavin White

A total of 41 objections have been made by angry locals to a “Costa del Sol” style residential and retail development in Dalkey’s Bulloch Harbour before the deadline for submissions tomorrow.

The proposed development by Bartra Capital consists of seven ground-floor commercial units fronting onto the harbour itself, with six three-storey terraced dwellings and a further three houses nearby.

PJ Drudy, secretary of the Bulloch Harbour Preservation Association, said: “There is a great deal of unhappiness in the community about this ‘Costa del Sol’ type development.”

A meeting earlier this month at the Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel in Killiney was attended by more than 450 locals.

Pictured: The new development planned for Dalkey
Pictured: The new development planned for Dalkey

Singer Christy Moore and Anti-Austerity Alliance–People Before Profit TD Richard Boyd Barrett also attended a meeting on Saturday at the Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoghaire discussing the issue.

Speaking to the Herald, Mr Drudy said the development was “completely out of scale” with the existing harbour.

Before: The area where the development is planned
Before: The area where the development is planned

Among the reasons for complaints from frustrated locals include potential flooding issues, insurance issues, increases in traffic and restrictions to local amenities.

“The developers have failed to recognise the potential for flooding coming in from the harbour, with waves frequently reaching heights twice the size of the local pumping station beside the harbour,” he said.

“I have no idea how you would get insurance for a property with that high risk of floodding,” he added.

The association argued there is a risk that homeowners in the entire Bulloch Harbour area would encounter difficulty in getting insurance coverage for flooding in the future.

Mr Drudy also said that the proposed development should be rejected as it is “bound under statute” of the 2016 Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown development plan to do so.

“On this basis one single complaint would be enough to stop the development but we are hoping for over 50 objections, with last minute objections to be expected,” Mr Drudy said.

Herald

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News