Six people rescued from burning apartment
Published 29/12/2011 | 05:00
SIX people were rescued from a burning apartment and two people were treated for smoke inhalation following a fire early yesterday morning.
Dozens of residents of the Malahide Marina Village complex in Malahide, north Co Dublin, were also evacuated when the blaze broke out in a second-floor apartment around 1am yesterday.
Five units of the Dublin Fire Brigade, two ambulances and a mobile command centre known as the Dublin Incident Command Unit were deployed as firefighters battled the blaze in the six-storey complex.
Six residents who became trapped in one of the apartments were freed by firefighters while a man and a woman were rushed to Beaumont Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation. It's understood their condition is not life-threatening.
Many of the residents of the 33-unit building were forced to find alternative accommodation for the night as firefighters battled thick smoke to contain the blaze. They stood down the operation shortly before 5am.
About half an hour later, a taxi driver spotted smoke coming out of a house on Newgrove Avenue in Sandymount, south Dublin.
Five units of the Dublin Fire Brigade rushed to the fire that had engulfed an empty house, which had recently been sold.
No one was injured but a family living next door was evacuated as the flames from the burning roof spread to the adjacent property.
Another fire broke out a short distance away on Tritonville Road in Sandymount shortly after 11.35am.
An ambulance attended the scene after one of the residents appeared to be suffering from smoke inhalation but declined to be taken to hospital.