Six families forced from their homes after fire in apartment block
Published 24/08/2015 | 10:45
A YOUNG child was hospitalised and six families were forced from their homes when a fire broke out in a Dublin apartment block.
It was a lucky escape for the residents in the Geraldstown Wood apartment complex in Santry when a fire broke out in a first floor apartment.
Dublin Fire Brigade responded to a call at at 17.10 yesterday evening.
Two adults and one five year old boy were treated at the scene and taken to the Mater and Temple Street Hospitals for smoke inhalation.
District Officer Mario Lodola praised the work of the responding fire officers last night.
“A number of the apartments are extensively damaged by fire,” he told the Herald.
“The fire was brought under control in a relatively short space of time by the fire fighters attending. The main damage has been confined to the apartment where the fire started,” he added.
“We’ll have our fire prevention section in tomorrow [Monday] to asses it. There’s a lot of smoke damage and water damage but the fire was contained to one section of the block.”
The injured parties were also treated at the scen by the attending DFB paramedics.
Last night the apartment block’s management company was on hand to source accommodation for the affected families in the nearby Metro Hotel. Some stayed with family in the area.
Mum of two Stephanie Rousseau said that her ground floor apartment was flooded during the incident. She spent the night with her children in the local hotel.
“It’s mainly the bedrooms I think. All of my clothes will be ruined,” she said.
“I heard the smoke alarm and I went to check because sometimes it goes off for no apparent reason,” she said.
Yesterday afternoon Ms Rousseau and one of her neighbours thought it was a false alarm again before being alerted to the fire a few minutes later.
“I saw the smoke coming out and in a few minutes there was smoke everywhere. I couldn’t believe how quick it happened,” she recalled.
“It’s very stressful because my daughter is starting crèche today and my son will be starting back in school soon. We don’t know how long it will be until we can go back there.”
Her neighbour Priya Harrynag and her son Jash Harrynag (16) were also waiting in the hotel for a room last night.
Their family of four live in one of the apartments on the second floor directly across from where the fire broke out.
“There was smoke pouring out from underneath the door and some of the neighbours were trying to break in in case there was people there but there was no one home,” she said.
“It’s good that the fire brigade came in time because otherwise it would have been a disaster.”