News Irish News

Wednesday 7 December 2016

Sit-in staff wait for €1,000 overtime cash

Breda Heffernan, Ralph Riegel and Barry Duggan

Published 11/01/2012 | 05:00

From left: Jenny Coyne, Jenny Andrews, Lynn Higgins-Gill and Nikki Kirwan taking part in a sit-in at the La Senza shop
in Liffey Valley Shopping Centre, Dublin, yesterday
From left: Jenny Coyne, Jenny Andrews, Lynn Higgins-Gill and Nikki Kirwan taking part in a sit-in at the La Senza shop in Liffey Valley Shopping Centre, Dublin, yesterday

A GROUP of shop workers who are entering their third day of a sit-in have vowed to continue their protest until they are paid their Christmas overtime, which for some amounts to €1,000.

  • Go To

Employees at lingerie store La Senza in Liffey Valley Shopping Centre in Dublin said they had been buoyed by public support since they began their sit-in on Monday.

All four standalone La Senza stores have closed since the company was placed into administration while staff at another four La Senza concessions were told not to turn up for work yesterday morning. Some 93 jobs have been lost as a result.

Yesterday, workers from other branches, including Grafton Street and Henry Street in Dublin and Mahon Point in Cork, joined their colleagues at Liffey Valley and demanded a meeting with administrators KPMG.

Staff received their wages for most of December but have not been paid overtime for the busy Christmas period.

They claimed that the Liffey Valley branch alone made over €235,000 in the past few weeks.

"Liffey Valley was taking roughly €15,000 a day over Christmas and we are being told to claim our redundancy money from the Government's insolvency fund; that's a bit rich," said Tara Keane from Inchicore.

Ms Keane, who worked at the concession in Debenhams on Henry Street, said staff believed the administration was really a smokescreen for the restructuring of the company.

Meanwhile, sales company Wurth Ireland Limited is seeking 22 voluntary redundancies out of its 158-strong workforce.

Managing director of Wurth Ireland Limited, Jason Murphy, told the Irish Independent that the company had been operating at a loss since 2008.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News