Saturday 27 December 2014

Senior gardai reject accusations of widespread corruption in force

Tom Brady, Security Editor

Published 09/04/2014 | 12:43

AGSI conference
AGSI conference

Senior Garda officers have rejected accusations of widespread corruption and malpractice in the force.

But they have accepted that mistakes had been made in the past and pointed out that these were now being rectified.

The annual conference of the Association of Garda Superintendents heard in Naas this afternoon that the allegations of corruption that had been levelled against them were not true.

Supt Pat McCabe said that while whistleblowers might not get everything right, the force had to listen to them and the concerns they voiced.

He welcomed the setting up of the commission of inquiry into taping of telephone calls at garda divisional headquarters over the past 30 years and said he believed it would establish the truth of what he regarded as legacy issues.

Supt McCabe said the association was not aware of the extent of the taping and that non emergency calls were being recorded in stations.

He also welcomed the proposal for an independent police authority.

He said he could not comment on the resignation of former garda commissioner Martin Callinan as he did not have all of the facts but he described Mr Callinan as a dedicated policeman and, on a human level, it was difficult for him and his family.

Dealing with the corruption allegations, he pointed out that it was very difficult for gardai to hear themselves being spoken about in that way when the claims were simply not true and they worked with the community every day.

Supt McCabe also said the Garda Ombudsman Commission was referring too many cases back to the gardai for investigation and believed it should conduct its own inquiries.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News