News Irish News

Thursday 27 October 2016

School to admit Traveller boy (12) who was initially refused place

Catherine Devine

Published 05/09/2016 | 21:19

A 12-year-old Traveller who was refused a place in a local school, will meet with the school tomorrow with a view of him being offered a place.

  • Go To

Paddy Flynn, from Ballyfermot, was the only child in his class at De La Salle National School refused a place at the local secondary school, St John's De La Salle.

The secondary school said they refused Paddy's application because it was late.

His parents said they did not know they had to apply, as neither can read or write.

De La Salle accepted 38 first year students this year, having accepted 67 last year.

The school told RTÉ that it will meet Paddy's parents tomorrow, with a view to offering him a place.

His family have welcomed the news. His aunt told RTÉ News that none of this should ever have happened.

She added that Paddy was "on cloud nine" this evening and that his mother Ann was also "over the moon".

Earlier today it was announced that Paddy would be offered private tuition by the Department of Education.

The private tuition offered by the Department of Education would have been nine hours a week in a community centre in Ballyfermot, according to RTE.

The Flynn family were also approached by a benefactor who offered to pay for private school for Paddy, but his parents believe he would be better served in a local school alongside his friends.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News